INTASC: Principle 5 Motivation and Behavior The teacher uses an understanding of individual and group motivation and behavior to create a learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation.
Act 1: Creating a Community of Learners in your classroom
Act 5: Establishing Routines
Act 6: Rules, Rewards, and Consequences
Act 9: Classroom Behavior Management Issues
Objective: Participants will be able to apply strategies for effective classroom management and reflect on their practices in order to improve upon their classroom management skills.
Questions to consider: What classroom management strategies do you currently use to foster a positive learning environment? What are some strategies do you want to start using in your classroom management routines? How can new and veteran teachers collaborate on fostering a positive learning environment, and why is this important?
- Watch this video about a first year teacher utilizing classroom management techniques, and how her class acts before and after. This video shows how new and veteran teachers can collaborate and share strategies to establish a successful and positive classroom environment. (12 minutes)
- Read this article about the importance of effective classroom management, examples strategies to apply, and suggestions to differentiate your techniques for all learners. (10 minutes)
- Watch this video about teachers utilizing effective classroom management techniques that do not disturb the other students. These strategies would prove to be effective at all levels. (3 minutes)
- Read these teacher tips for successful classroom management techniques. These include some suggestions for teachers to think about during the first few months of school, as well as some input from teachers on rewards and consequences they use. (10 minutes)
- Watch this video to see what strategies a first year teacher uses to successfully transition kindergarten students during centers. These strategies can be used or modified for any elementary class. (14 minutes)
- Reflection: (10-20 minutes)
- Why is creating an effective classroom rules and routines important for learning and creating a positive classroom environment?
- What effective classroom management strategies do you currently use in your classroom to create a positive learning environment?
- What classroom management skills and strategies do you think you can improve upon?
- What classroom management strategies that you have seen in the videos or have read do you want to use in your classroom?
- Why is it important for both new and veteran teachers to collaborate upon and discuss classroom management techniques?