How to read an IEP
The IEP is a wonderful document with a treasure trove of information, unfortunately it is hidden among a LOT of jargon. The purpose of this module is to get your new educator familiar with the process and how to read the IEP so as to best meet the needs of all of the students.
1. Watch the following video- Isn't it a pity? The real problem with Special Needs.
2. Look at a blank IEP to become familiar with the layout and the various components.
3. This cheat sheet helps to locate IEP's in ASPEN as well as explain what the boxes are and how they work.
After viewing and reading over the resources please write up a one-page reflection (12 point font, double spaced) and submit it below. The reflection should deal with the following questions:
- What specific information would you like to have in order to help your new educator navigate the IEP?
- How can knowing what the IEP says help a new teacher when dealing with a student who has one?