Module: How to develop the skill of active listening:
ACTIVE LISTENING is “the act of mindfully hearing and attempting to comprehend the meaning of words spoken by another in a conversation or speech. Activity listening is an important business communication skill, and it can involve making sounds that indicate attentiveness, as well as the listener giving feedback in the form of a paraphrased rendition of what has been said by the other party for their confirmation.”
Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/active-listening.html#ixzz44Ib9TM1f
How well do we as teachers listen to our students, colleagues. The following readings, videos and activities will help you improve and understand the concept of active listening.
Active Listening - TRAINING ACTIVITY
- What are some (non-verbal) signs of active listening?
- What are some (verbal) signs of active listening?
- Bad habits are hard to break, are you aware of any poor listening habits that you have, what can you do to improve your listening skills?
- Try some of the exercises above with a partner. How’d you do? Was any exercise easy/hard for you?
- Watch one of the videos above, do you agree with the presentations?